Thursday, October 1, 2009

Something told the wild geese...






Something told the wild geese

It was time to go,

Though the fields lay golden

Something whispered, "snow."


Leaves were green and stirring,

Berries, luster-glossed,

But beneath warm feathers

Something cautioned, "frost."



All the sagging orchards

Steamed with amber spice,

But each wild breast stiffened

At remembered ice.



Something told the wild geese

It was time to fly,

Summer sun was on their wings,

Winter in their cry



Fall is officially here. There are signs of it everywhere. My favorite one is the wild geese that gather above our field and call out to eachother and make their formations as they move southward. Marielle and I heard them calling so we ran down to watch in amazement as wave after wave of them appeared above the trees. It seemed after a while that the sky was full of them. I looked over at Marielle, all golden in the setting sun looking up in delight, pointing out their patterns and knew I could never capture the moment. This is a poor attempt.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

wish I could have been there. Those pictures are beautiful.

About Me

My photo
There are no joys to compare with family. The experiences and feeling associated with family run so deep. Little moments are filled with meaning. They are the people who know us best and who we know best and who will be forever. This blog is a collection of the experiences that we can remember--the ones that happen on earth. I think our associations began long before and maybe the best is yet to be. Brigham Young says that our mortal experience is dreary compared to what is to come. I'm glad I can't see ahead because my life is anything but dreary. These people are my light and my joy.

My friends

My Blog List