Sunday, May 1, 2011

Pinewood Derby

In the delivery room, minutes after Peter was born, Bruce sighed, "wow...another pinewood derby." And here we are nine years later at Peter's second and almost last Pinewood Derby. One more to go. Last year, our performance was fairly mediocre. The derby before that was even worse. Bruce was out of town and Brian and I cobbled together an embarrassing entry. (The wheel fell off in the second race.) This year I encouraged Bruce to pull out all that knowledge and experience that he has gleaned over the years. It paid off.

Brian came up with the idea of "The Black Mamba"--the world's fastest and deadliest snake.




Sincd the car pulled slightly to the right, Bruce gave Peter a tutorial on how to place it on the track to compensate. Peter took the task very seriously. He never lost a race.



It was fun to win the blue ribbon.





But I really think the best part of the whole thing was the night before, when they stayed up til 2:00 am polishing axles and whatever else they do to make cars fast. (I'll never learn those secrets because I go to bed at 10.) I heard they made a trip to Yokes at 1:30 to weigh it on the deli scale. Now I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that when Peter's old, that's the part of this he'll remember. I hope so.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

About Me

My photo
There are no joys to compare with family. The experiences and feeling associated with family run so deep. Little moments are filled with meaning. They are the people who know us best and who we know best and who will be forever. This blog is a collection of the experiences that we can remember--the ones that happen on earth. I think our associations began long before and maybe the best is yet to be. Brigham Young says that our mortal experience is dreary compared to what is to come. I'm glad I can't see ahead because my life is anything but dreary. These people are my light and my joy.

My friends

My Blog List