Sunday, October 30, 2011

One Last Afternoon in Nauvoo


It was time to head for home, but we all wanted just a few more hours in Nauvoo.   We decided to visit some of the historic places we'd skimmed over on the first day. 


Nauvoo was so beautiful.  We'd heard that it had been unbelievably hot for weeks.  But this day was perfect.  There was a little breeze and I kept having to pinch myself realizing that I was walking down this street in Nauvoo with my children and grandchildren together.  It was so great!
We loved the unusual flowers and bugs.


 There's a bug on this tree.  I'm not sure who spotted it--probably Marielle.  But we all gathered around to see.

We came to this great little "hands on" area.  The kids got to dress up in Nauvoo clothes and have free run of all the implements and equipment that kept Nauvoo houses running.  

                                                                Sam rides a sheep

                                                
                          Sadie and Sam take care of the sheep while Audrey finishes the laundry



As soon as we arrived and Andy saw the bin full of pioneer dresses, she said, "Ruth is never going to leave this spot.  She is going to try on every dress."  It was true.  The other kids ran from activity to activity while Ruth stuck by the dress bin and admired all the little details.  So cute.
                                                              Sadie found a table just her size.

                                          Peter looked so much like an authentic Nauvoo boy.





                                                            Audry and Peter--the homesteaders


                                                         Audry, Peter, Eric and Sam


                                                             Eric checks out the water supply

Sadie


But the
re was also plenty for the adults to do.  We put together some pretty good competitions.  I can't remember who the winners were, but I remember Brian was pretty impressive overall.

                         Eric and Andy compete at the "pull the bear up the rope" game.  It was close.





 After a great stilt race (that it looks like maybe Nick might have won) it was on to the hoop run.




 Again, Nick seems to have a good lead, but I think it was Brian who made a run at the end.


Round two was more exciting since everyone had the hang of it now.

Brian loses his crown to Seth.  I love that form!

No comments:

About Me

My photo
There are no joys to compare with family. The experiences and feeling associated with family run so deep. Little moments are filled with meaning. They are the people who know us best and who we know best and who will be forever. This blog is a collection of the experiences that we can remember--the ones that happen on earth. I think our associations began long before and maybe the best is yet to be. Brigham Young says that our mortal experience is dreary compared to what is to come. I'm glad I can't see ahead because my life is anything but dreary. These people are my light and my joy.

My friends

My Blog List